It seems this is the summer of ukulele playing and sewing machine whirring. Though to be more precise, lately my machine sounds more like THUNK-A-THUNK than a nice “whir”. This is the second bag for a ukulele I’ve made this summer. The first one, here, for my own concert size uke; and the one above, for my oldest daughter’s soprano size uke. I thought the bag I made for myself was hard! This one topped it by far in difficulty level! Of course, I wanted to make it the way my daughter wanted, and she went with the traditional gig bag style, but with fabrics she chose (very much “her” with the island print and orange lining-her favorite color:). The thicknesses of the fabrics, 1/2″ foam, zipper, etc. were such that even my left shoulder began to ache, (THROB!) as I wrestled the layers of stuff to stay together as I sewed. She wanted backpack style straps to wear like this:
In the end, it all worked out very well, I must say, despite needing to take some pain reliever part way through the project! She loves it (so do I!) and I’m content that we made something together AND that I will never make another of these foam-type bags! My sweet Maddie, who now has a ukulele of her own, is wanting a uke bag also, but I’ll be making one that does not have foam, just quilted fabric, which will be just fine for her little toy uke.
I think my machine will be glad NOT to be making such thunk-a-thunk noises and maybe it will “whir” once again!